Thursday, September 17, 2015

Post #1: Starting Japanese 101

Hi there! My name is Sam Schultz and I'm from New York City.

Ever since I was little my dad would show my two older brothers and me the Japanese films that he loved, from Akira Kurosawa to Takashi Miike. My oldest brother ended up studying East Asian Civilization and Languages at U Chicago and convinced me to start learning Japanese. I want to be able to watch the Japanese films I love such as "用心棒 (Yojimbo)", "椿三十郎 (Sanjuro)", "七人の侍 (Seven Samurai)", and "東京物語 (Tokyo Story)" in Japanese without the use of subtitles.

I'm extremely excited to start learning vocabulary to help me with comprehension. I am also excited to start conversing with others in Japanese. From these first lessons I can see that Japanese language is deeply linked to the history and culture of Japan which I am very interested in.

Something that I am worried about is learning kanji. The stroke order/ style of it seems far more intense than the hiragana and katakana.

I wish everyone a happy new year at Princeton!がんばって!


No comments:

Post a Comment